Marc Fitapelli, partner
Marc Fitapelli is a founder of Fitapelli Kurta, a national law firm focusing on securities litigation and arbitration. Marc Fitapelli began his career at two large national law firms and utilizes his experience and training from both. Mr. Fitapelli has been in practice for over ten years and he exclusively represents aggrieved investors against major financial institutions. Over the years, Mr. Fitapelli has been successful in recovering many millions of dollars on behalf of investors all over the country.
Mr. Fitapelli has been consistently selected as a Superlawyer by Thompson Reuters, a distinction that is awarded to only 2.5% of attorneys nationwide. Marc Fitapelli is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is an award given to less than 1% of attorneys nationwide and can only be awarded to an attorney who wins a trial verdict or settlement in excess of $1 million dollars.
Mr. Fitapelli earned his JD at Hofstra University School of Law, where he served as an Editor of the Labor and Employment Law Journal together with Jonathan Kurta. Marc Fitapelli also graduated magna cum laude from St. Francis College, where he earned his B.A. in political science.
- Won a FINRA arbitration award for $1,073,440 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The case involved the misrepresentation of a variable annuity and the award included $536,720 in punitive damages. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Successful in negotiating settlements of over $5 million on behalf of groups of investors in syndicated tenant-in-common investments. The investors were situated in various parts of the country and the cases involved multiple brokerage firms.
- Won a FINRA arbitration award for over $523,000 on behalf of a Tampa, Florida based trust. The case involved the purchase of a non-traded real estate investment. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Won a $1 million FINRA arbitration award on behalf of a New Mexico resident who alleged that his account was churned by his brokerage firm. The award also included interest and attorneys’ fees under the New Mexico Securities Act. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Won a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania small business owner who alleged churning in his brokerage account. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Negotiated a seven-figure settlement on behalf of a Denver, Colorado family that was invested in speculative and illiquid real estate securities.
- Won a FINRA arbitration award for $130,000 in Denver, Colorado. The case involved the misrepresentation of a variable annuity. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Won over $97,000 on behalf of a New Jersey resident who alleged account losses as a result of unsuitable investment recommendations. A copy of the award can be accessed here.
- Secured large FINRA settlement for an elderly man from Washington in an arbitration seeking over $2.5 million in damages against national broker-dealer for allegations of front-running, churning, fraud, cross- trading with other customer accounts and failure to supervise in connection with the sale of multiple penny stocks.
- Successful in negotiating a six-figure FINRA settlement on behalf of a North Carolina family. The case involved allegations that the brokerage firm failed to conduct due diligence on the private investments that were sold to the family over a ten-year time period.
- FINRA Arbitration Panel Awards Wilbanks Securities Investor $1 million for Misleading Sales Pitch on Variable Annuity” Investment News, April 14, 2017
- “How to Break a Contract Without Paying Dearly” US News & World Report, February 24, 2017
- “Fitapelli Kurta Report: ‘Top’ Financial Advisors have the Worst Records” Nasdaq Global Newswire, July 14, 2016
- “Fitapelli Kurta Files Arbitration Claim Involving Merrill Lynch Advisor Jacquin Fink” Nasdaq Global Newswire, April 29, 2016
- “Fitapelli Kurta Files Arbitration Claim Alleging Improper Concentration in Energy Investments.” Nasdaq Global Newswire, April 21, 2016
- “Broker Pal of Bow Wow Gets Bitten by CFP Board” Financial Planning, April 18, 2016
- “Fitapelli Kurta Files 14 Customer Arbitration Cases Involving Failed Real Estate Investments: Urges Securities and Exchange Commission to Reform Rule” Nasdaq Global Newswire, July 31, 2014
- “Oceanside Hedge Fund Sued by Investors” Newsday, February 27, 2012